Thursday, March 05, 2009

Good find of the week

We had Chicken with Saffron Rice last night. I tell you this not to toot my own horn (it feels like I've been making the same seven recipes for ten years), but to urge you to check out the recipe. I made it almost exactly as the Williams-Sonoma website told me to, though I did substitute a dry Marsala wine for the sherry, as I forgot to put that on last weekend's shopping list. The medium grain (Arborio) rice made the dish, and there wasn't much clean-up, as this is a one-pot meal. Delicious!

Music post coming soon!

3 comments:

majesticmoose said...

Sounds delicious and I might try it out soon. Idylwilde used to have fantastic Arborio rice for very little money, but they don't stock it anymore, just the expensive ones - booh hoooh...

I love one pot dishes

Stephen Bourque said...

That sounds really great! I'm curious about one thing, though. I wonder why the recipe directs one to discard the fat and wipe out the pot after browning the chicken. It seems like that is wiping away a lot of flavor that would otherwise have been there to deglaze with the sherry later on. Anyway, I'll have to give that a try this weekend!

Christina said...

Barb, let me know if you come across any frugal sources for arborio rice! Even TJ's was expensive, I thought. $2 a pound.

Stephen, I wondered about the wiping out of the pot, too. I did end up following the directions pretty closely, though, as the fat that was in the pot had gotten a bit burned. : )