Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Walden Pond


One of our favorite places.

The 11-year-old doesn't like crowds of any sort, so after sulking sitting on the jam-packed beach for a few agonizing minutes, he headed into the woods for a short hike and some nature photography, accompanied by his mother (as he gets his abhorrence of hordes from me).

We knew this wildflower was Indian Pipe, thanks to the 100 Species Challenge, begun last summer.

This waxy-leaved little wildflower was very pretty--but I forgot my Audubon book and don't remember what the leaves looked like. Possibly Spotted Wintergreen?

I can't resist any rock photo ops.!

8-year-old and 4-year-old in the pond--they would have stayed all day.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
~Henry David Thoreau

2 comments:

Suji said...

The kids look really comfy in the pool :) And I don't blame your oldest. My favorite nature spots are the ones with the least people (I wonder if the birds and animals feel the same way about me LOL). Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing Christina!

majesticmoose said...

I just love, love, love it there - definitely one of my favorite spots. We went once on Sophie's birthday and it started with the most horrible weather and then turned into the most beautiful day and there were very few people on the beach and the trail - it was perfect! We should go together some time :) some time soon, when we are back!