Friday, April 16, 2010

Poetry Friday - Dylan Thomas (1914-1953)

Fern Hill, by Dylan Thomas

Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,
     The night above the dingle starry,
          Time let me hail and climb
     Golden in the heydays of his eyes,
And honoured among wagons I was prince of the apple towns
And once below a time I lordly had the trees and leaves
          Trail with daisies and barley
     Down the rivers of the windfall light.
Read the rest here.


My favorite line from Fern Hill is from the third verse: "As I rode to sleep the owls were bearing the farm away. . ." 


Molly would approve.


John Corigliano (The Red Violin) has a setting of Fern Hill with some truly lovely harmonies and interesting rhythms that are fun to sing.  The clip below will give you a small, small taste of the eighteen minute work.  Visit lala.com to hear the piece in its entirety.





Poetry Friday is being hosted this week at 7-Imp.

No comments: