Monday, June 14, 2010

Book Sharing Monday - Tales Alive!

Tales of the Shimmering Sky: Ten Global Folktales With Activities (Tales Alive! Series, Vol 2)A couple of books caught my eye at a used curricula sale this past weekend.  I mightily restrained myself from buying very much, as I am mostly happy with what we are currently using and I also have a burning desire to de-clutter, but these two books I could not resist:

Tales of the Shimmering Sky

and

Bird Tales from Far and Near

Bird Tales from Near & Far (Tales Alive!)both retold by Susan Milord.  The first has paintings by JoAnn Kitchel and the second's are by Linda S. Wingerter, and both have simple activities to go with each folktale.

Being a bit picky about the style writers use to retell old stories, I read a bit in both books to see if I would enjoy reading these tales aloud.  Milord's words are varied, and she also pays attention to rhythm:

Long, long ago, when time was measured by the trickle of sand, there ruled a wise and goodly king named Solomon.
It so happened that the birthday of King Solomon's wife was approaching, and that one gift--the only gift--the queen fancied was a palace made from the beaks of birds.
from "The Palace of Beaks" in Bird Tales.
Milord also wrote one other Tales Alive! book, and that is Tales Alive!: Ten Multicultural Folktales with Activities.

Book Sharing Monday is hosted at Serendipity Home School.  I always get great recommendations from the participants--head on over and check them out!

No comments: