Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Romulus and the Capture of the Sabine Women

I've not had time to put together any more Great Books posts, but will hopefully do a wrap-up edition in a couple of days.

In the meantime, tomorrow's Latin lesson from The Big Book of Lively Latin (volume one), includes the story of the Romans' taking of the Sabine women (a decidedly non-graphic version of the tale, which is appropriate for my eight-year-old), and I just can't resist showing my kids this clip from a favorite musical, found on Turner Classic Movies. Couldn't find a YouTube clip of the actual movie footage, but this re-enactment was really quite well done.

Did you know Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was a television show for a short while in 1982? It starred MacGyver's Richard Dean Anderson as Adam and a young River Phoenix as Guthrie. I have vague memories of watching it as a child.

No comments: