Friday, April 01, 2011

Poetry and Photo Friday

For the first time in a long time I had both of the older two kiddos do some memorization this week.  Jazz headed straight for Where the Sidewalk Ends to find a poem that should have been appropriate for April:

RAIN

   I opened my eyes
   And looked up at the rain,
   And it dripped in my head
   And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

   I step very softly,
   I walk very slow,
   I can't do a handstand--
   I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

by Shel Silverstein

But I think that, given the date and what our backyard currently looks like (see photos below), this one is more appropriate:

OH HAVE YOU HEARD

Oh have you head it's time for vaccinations?
I think someone put salt in your tea.
They're giving us eleven-month vacations.
And Florida has sunk into the sea.

Oh have you heard the President has measles?
The principal has just burned down the school.
Your hair is full of ants and purple weasels--
                  APRIL FOOL!


by Shel Silverstein





No comments: