Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Holiday Music #2 - Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847)

It's not Music Monday today, but now that I've figured out that I can embed an Amazon widget in my post and not just on my sidebar, I'm planning to be a lot more vocal about the music I favor. I have just a little bit of a preference for classical music, and early music in particular, but that doesn't mean I won't have plenty to say about music from other genres!

2009 is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Felix Mendelssohn, so I expect to see and hear a lot of Mendelssohn's music performed next year. Other than the oratorio, Elijah, I didn't have a lot of familiarity with other choral works by the composer. My lack of knowledge is taking a swift turn for the better, however, as the community chorus I sing with will be performing not one, not two, but three of Mendelssohn's choral compositions in an early spring concert. Of these three works, particularly appropriate for the holiday season is the Magnificat in D, which the composer wrote when he was just thirteen.

I would have loved to have included a snippet of the Magnificat here, but it turns out that Amazon does not have an mp3 available of any of its sections, though I did find out that Wake Forest Public Radio will be presenting an American broadcast debut of the Magnificat, as sung by the Yale Schola Cantorum under the musical direction of Simon Carrington, formerly of the King's Singers and now professor of conducting at the Yale School of Music. I've already put it in my calendar to tune in online on the 28th at noon.

So instead, here is another, more well known tune by Mendelssohn. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Suji said...

Oh lovely! Please do be more vocal about the music you like...I'm so tempted to use your posts as our music appreciation curriculum :)

Christina said...

Suji, I toyed with the idea of writing a "classical-music-at-home" curriculum last year, but didn't get too far off the ground with it. I'll keep you posted!