Monday, January 19, 2009

Music Monday - Everyone Sang

I just found out today that, in a happy bit of kismet, the poem I posted on my other blog, A Habit of Reading, for last week's Poetry Friday, serves as the text for a lovely choral work from 1975 that the community chorus I sing with will be performing this spring. The author of the text is British poet Siegfried Sassoon (1886-1967), and the composer is fellow Brit Peter Willsher (b. 1951). This clip is from the BBC's 2008 Remembrance Sunday episode of Songs of Praise.

2 comments:

majesticmoose said...

That is quite lovely. I'd like to sing in a nice staircase sometime - very interesting.

Peter Willsher said...

Thanks so much for your very kind words about my little opus. It does seem to be performed still, which is so nice, and get a little publicity from time to time.
Unfortunately the BEEB did an editing number on my song, and performed it at a significantly faster pace than I had hoped for!
Here is a performance I conducted in St Martin in the Fields a few years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y1wCkNwtuc