Tuesday, March 16, 2010

So many books. . .

I started this entry in February some time and decided it's time to get it out, whether or not it's complete.  I fear it's not--more and more books keep finding their way into my library bag and my towering TBR stacks.  A book showed up on my request list that I didn't remember ILL-ing, and then I found out my town's librarian put it there for me as she knew it was a book I would love.  I'm reading it now and it's great, so hey, bring them on!


I've been reading like a fiend for several weeks now, but I thought I might come out of my cave to say "hey" to any of you who might still be around, and to post the books that have so enthralled me of late.  Thank goodness for the "My Reading History" feature on the local library network's website, or I'd never remember most of the titles.


Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater.  I can't resist a good werewolf story.  And this is a good one, with some original aspects to lupine lore.  Told from alternating perspectives, the story is none-the-less easy to follow and beautifully told.  The author has a lyrical way with words and I've now read her other two books (Lament and Ballad, both of which I loved) and I can't wait until Linger (book two in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series) is released in July.  


The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins.  When I first found out that The Hunger Games was set in a dystopian future, I decided to give it a miss.  I'd had enough depressing visual images from that one time I watched the news and really didn't need any more rattling around in my brain (kidding about the one time, not about the images, or the reason).  But the buzz over this book was so great that I finally gave in, especially after DS (then 11) devoured the author's other series, the Underland Chronicles (which begins with Gregor the Overlander).  One word: RUN.  Run right now to your library or bookstore and start reading.  No, wait--I take it back.  Hold off until the third book in the trilogy (Mockingjay) comes out in the fall, and read all three in quick succession.  Otherwise, like me, you'll be dying to read the last part of the story every time you think about the first two books.  Gossip around the GoodReads water cooler says that The Hunger Games is being made into a movie to be released some time in 2011.


When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead.  Liked it.  Didn't fall in love with the characters as I thought I would based on the reviews.


City of BonesCity of Ashes, and City of Glass, by Cassandra Clare.  Easy reads, good characters, storyline sucked me in.  Waiting for book four.


Soulless, by Gail Carriger.  Amelia Peabody meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer (sort of) in Steampunk- Victorian England.  Fun, fun, fun!  Book two in The Parasol Protectorate series (I kid you not) comes out March 30th, and I will be reading it.


A Great and Terrible Beauty, by Libba Bray, and the sequels.  Liked them.


Jane Bites Back, by Michael Thomas Ford. Fun.  Will definitely catch the sequel, Jane Goes Batty.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, by Seth Grahame-Smith  Didn't finish it.  I love P&P and have read it countless times, but couldn't get into this one.  It might have been the cover.


According to Jane, by Marilyn Brant
Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler
Pride, Prejudice, and Jasmin Field, by Melissa Nathan


Enjoyed all three of these at the time and now they all run together in my head.  The middle one involves  body-swapping a la Freaky Friday, IIRC.


Murder at Longbourn, by Tracy Kiely.  Very well done, indeed.


The Actor and the Housewife, by Shannon Hale.  Good book, had would have liked a different ending.


Remarkable Creatures, by Tracy Chevalier and Rosemary and Rue, by Seanan McGuire.  These two books couldn't be more different, but they both have something in common.  The first is historical fiction based on the life of Mary Anning, the Fossil Girl, and the second seems like a fantastical version of Oliver Twist meets Peter Pan.  But both books' descriptions made me think that I would like reading them, though just not right now, so I've put them back on my "to read" list once more, for when books like City of Ashes or Shiver do not beckon.


Speak, and Catalyst, by Laurie Halse Anderson.  Read both of these in one gulp.  The author has a way of sucking me right into her characters' lives.


Need, by Carrie Jones.  Requested the sequel as soon as I finished this one.


Now reading Spellwright, by Blake Charlton, Not Becoming My Mother, by Ruth Reichl, and La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith.

3 comments:

Yat-Yee said...

You are not kidding when you said "so many books!" Wow! I thought I read fast, but I couldn't have pulled that off!

Christina said...

Hence my need for my library record to recall the titles. ; )

What I can't figure out is why the post published ahead of schedule (I thought two in one day was enough)--just one of the many quirks of Blogger, I guess.

sheila said...

Oh how I love Ruth Reichl. The funny thing is that I first thought you were talking about Ruth Rendell (who lived with my hero PD James oh-so-long ago). Then I looked more carefully and realized who you were talking about.